Veterans Village of San Diego Board of Directors
Board Chair, Rear Admiral Bill Kowba, SC, USN (Ret.)
Rear Admiral Bill Kowba received his commission through the Navy Officer Candidate School in June 1976. Over the course of thirty years of Naval service, he was assigned to numerous sea, shore, and overseas duties. As a flag officer, he established the first ever global network of Navy supply centers at more than 100 locations staffed by nearly 7000 logistics, acquisition, and financial professionals.
After retiring from the Navy in 2006, Rear Admiral Kowba joined the San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) as the Chief Financial Officer overseeing a two billion dollar portfolio consisting of general operating and infrastructure funds. In June 2010, the Board of Education appointed Rear Admiral Kowba as the permanent Superintendent, leading one of the largest school districts in the nation with a staff of about 16,000, an enrollment near 130,000.
Rear Admiral Kowba holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Bonaventure University and three graduate degrees, including a Master’s degree in Business Administration from the Anderson School at UCLA. The admiral is also a graduate of the Tuck School of Business Executive Program at Dartmouth College.
Vice Chair James Waters – Deputy District Attorney, San Diego County.
VVSD Board Members
- Joshua Arntson – National Resource Specialist, The Mission Continues. U. S. Navy Veteran
- David Bain – Owner, Pacific Ship Repair & Fabrication, Inc
- Angela Bartosik JD –Chief Deputy Alternate Public Defender, U.S. Navy Veteran, United States Naval Academy
- Steve Binder – Deputy Public Defender, County of San Diego
- Mike Madigan – Consultant, U.S. Navy Veteran
- Markham Rich – Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy (Retired)
- Harry Stephens – Senior Contract Specialist, Solar Turbines
- Nancy Tomich – Managing Director of the Institute of Federal Health Care
- Thomas Topuzes – President & CEO Thomas Topuzes & Associates, LLC, USAF Veteran
Veterans Village of San Diego connects with America’s veterans to overcome their homelessness and related challenges, creating lives of dignity and fulfillment.