Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving veterans and other individuals to change their lives. It takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
VVSD has a great opportunity for an Activities Coordinator. The Activities Coordinator oversees the therapeutic and recreational activities for our clients and at times our employees. This position will coordinate staff schedules, manage and create activities and events, and maintain equipment and rooms for these activities.
If you have a 'knack' for organizing activities and events, and would like to be a part of VVSD's mission in empowering our veterans, this is the position for you!
- Responsible for planning and coordinating the therapeutic activities currently conducted for our residents, such as Equestrian Assisted Therapies, Music Therapy, Art Therapy, Pet Therapy, and Physical Therapy. Also responsible for adding any therapeutic activities thought to be supportive of recovery of our residents.
- Responsible for developing and implementing activities for each major holiday, including veteran-focused holidays.
- Responsible for coordinating the celebration of certain “months” that are important to VVSD and our clients, such as, National Mental Health Month, Month of the Military Child, etc.
- Develop an activities budget and operate within this budget.
- Responsible for the marketing of these activities.
- In conjunction with the Director of Development, plans and implements fund-raising activities for VVSD.
- In conjunction with the VP, Human Resources, plans and implements social events for employees.
- Recruits and maintains volunteers to assist with these activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university
- Certified Activity Professional preferred
- Two years’ experience in a residential treatment facility within the last five years
- Able to clearly present information through the spoken and written word. Can accurately communicate, providing the necessary level of detail even under stressful or demanding conditions.
- Ensures a positive attitude and team orientation is exhibited in verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and discretion to make decisions designed to achieve company expectations and goals for the community.
- Able to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to effectively utilize technology including use of computers, iPad/Tablet use, Word programming, internet access, email, and social media.
- Must possess valid driver's license and auto insurance.
- Budgeting experience.
- Ability to bend and lift light objects
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while viewing a computer monitor
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Capable of hearing and speaking to exchange information
- Seeing to read reports and data
- Ability to speak English
- Must be able to work in a noisy, busy environment.
VVSD has the following benefits: 12 paid holidays a year, paid , paid sick leave and paid vacation, health insurance, vision and dental plans, pension plan.
The Fine Print
* If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2
* Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender
identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran