PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just Another Job!
Veterans Village is looking for employees who want to make a difference in the lives of our veterans. They served us, now it’s our turn to serve them! And we’ve been doing this for almost 40 years!
The Administrative Assistant/Receptionist provides day-to-day administrative and clerical support to the Executive Staff, Compliance Department, and other administrative departments as needed. Conducts routine front office business, maintains office equipment and supplies and performs collateral office duties and other duties as assigned by Supervisor. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, strong at multi-tasking, highly organized, detail-oriented, and dependable.
If you love to learn new things and want to be part of something bigger, by way of supporting our staff in assisting our local veterans in their journey to overcoming barriers, this is the position for you!
- Receives, screens and directs telephone calls and visitors, providing appropriate referral and crisis intervention if needed
- Provides information on agency services as requested by callers or visitors
- Receives and distributes mail to appropriate staff and schedules FedEx and UPS pickups
- Responsible for the proper distribution of the VVSD Info Email mailbox
- Maintains neat and well organized files
- Provide administrative/clerical support to the Executive Staff and takes their requests for ordering equipment and supplies
- Drafts and updates documents for the Compliance Department
- Takes minutes at various committee meetings
- Keeps storeroom organized and conducts monthly inventory of supplies on hand for replenishment
- Conducts training on general office equipment, and arranges for repair/maintenance as needed
- Data entry and word processing as needed
- Assists with ordinary mailings and large, bulk mailings
- Trains Staff for electronic requisition and purchase order setup
- Maintains and schedules conference room availability
- Maintains postage meter money control
- Works on special projects as needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- High School diploma required;; some college courses preferred
- A minimum of 2 years of paid administrative experience in high-level clerical support or general office administration environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Ability to fluently read, write and communicate in English
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Meticulous in attention to detail with excellent time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be able to interact with diverse staff, client, and vendor populations
- Competent in the use of basic office machines, including copier, scanner, fax, postage meter, etc.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to comfortably, both mentally and physically, perform all aspects of the job description and other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Ability to comfortably lift at least 20 pounds
- Ability to bend and lift light objects
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while viewing a computer monitor
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Capable of hearing and speaking to exchange information
- Seeing to read reports and data
- Ability to speak English
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and car insurance
- Must be able to work in a noisy, busy environment.
VVSD offers competitive pay and benefits including 12 paid holidays a year, paid vacation and paid sick leave, pension, health insurance, dental and vision plans.
• If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years.
• Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.