PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
The Cook is responsible for preparing, and serving meals for residents and staff. In addition, this position directs residents, community service workers, and volunteers in performing duties in the kitchen and dining areas, while maintaining a clean, safe, and sanitary condition in the kitchen and dining areas. Also performs regular preventative maintenance on kitchen and dining area equipment.
If you have a passion for assisting our veterans, this is the position for you!
- Prepares late meals and sack lunches for residents off site as scheduled.
- Follows recipes as given.
- Ability to work multiple stations.
- Flexible with availability.
- Directs residents, community service workers, and volunteers performing duties in the kitchen and dining areas.
- Receives food and kitchen supplies from venders properly storing and labeling supplies.
- Inventories and checks invoices against food and kitchen supplies delivered, and reports discrepancies to the Food Service Manager or Facilities Director
- Maintains inventory of all food and kitchen supplies.
- Organization and labeling of all dry, cooler, and freezer storage areas.
- Supervises residents/staff in keeping condition in kitchen clean, safe and sanitary conditions in
- Continuously inspects kitchen and dining areas for safety hazards and takes corrective measures immediately as needed, or reports needed repairs to facilities
- Supervises cleaning of kitchen and dining area to maintain healthy and sanitary environment and ensures that all dishes, silverware, and other equipment are kept clean and sanitary.
- Maintains timeliness while keeping busy
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Possess professional food handler’s card.
- Possess a valid driver's license and have clean DMV record.
- Must be able to fluently read, write and communicate in English.
- Great customer service skills.
- Ability to treat residents with respect and civility.
- Ability to work well with a diverse population.
- Comfortably able to perform all aspects of job.
- Make fast and smart decisions that directly impact profitability of the kitchen
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods, bend, stoop, reach, kneel, stand, stoop, crouch, climb, and squat.
- Comfortably physically able to perform all aspects of the job.
VVSD offers competitive pay and benefits including 12 paid holidays a year, paid vacation and paid sick leave, pension, health insurance, dental and vision plans.
• • If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years.
• • Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.