Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
VVSD is looking for an Outreach Specialist to work with our Rapid Rehousing program. This position will provide outreach to veterans throughout the County of San Diego. The Outreach Specialist implements and promotes community awareness and education of the programs at VVSD. This role is responsible for outreach efforts in communities where homeless veterans congregate. Our Outreach Specialist will build and maintain an extensive network of providers in and out of the military community, to be used for referrals.
• Develop and provide community outreach presentations for Veterans and Non Veterans.
• Develop informal, formal and other community networks.
• Attend community meetings dealing with the homeless and veteran population.
• Attend local training’s related to outreach.
• Work collaboratively with other outreach teams to maximize outreach efforts throughout the County.
• Assess needs of participants and their families and refer to agencies providing assistance with all issues facing the homeless community to include but not limited to:
- Veteran’s Issues
- Combat trauma
- Military sexual trauma
- Veteran’s and Non Veteran’s Issues
- Mental health support
- Substance use disorder
- Legal issues
- • Basic understanding of the homeless population and related challenges.
- • Basic understanding of the military and/or the Veterans Administration.
- • Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- • Ability to work in and promote teamwork.
- • Ability to work professionally, cohesively, and collaboratively with staff, partners and with organizations serving the homeless community.
- • Ability to work flexible and sometimes unpredictable hours to include weekends.
- • Organized, detail-oriented and able to time manage.
- • Reliable transportation.
- • Prior experience working with homeless population.
- • Fluently read, write, and communicate in English.
- • Ability to work independently with little supervision, and within a diverse population.
- • Ability to pass criminal background check and drug screen.
- • Ability to perform all aspects of the job description both mentally and physically, as well as other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- • Ability to bend and lift light objects
- • Ability to sit for extended periods of time while viewing a computer monitor
- • Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- • Capable of hearing and speaking to exchange information
- • Seeing to read reports and data
- • Ability to speak English
- • Must be able to work in a noisy, busy environment.
VVSD offers competitive pay and benefits including 12 paid holidays a year, paid vacation and paid sick leave, pension, health insurance, dental and vision plans.
• If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years.
• Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.