PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village is looking for employees who want to make a difference in the lives of our veterans. They served us, now it’s our turn to serve them! And we’ve been doing this for almost 40 years!
The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for overseeing the Med Room and assuring that medications are received and given to the residents as appropriate If you love to learn new things and want to be part of something bigger, by way of assisting our local veterans in their journey to overcoming barriers, this is the position for you!
- Accurately logs in new and refill medications
- Verifies new and refill medications for dose or direction changes and updates med records accordingly
- Verifies whether new or refill medication go in current med bag or in refill cabinet, and places accordingly
- Accurately enters data, from medication labels, into computer to create and update medication records
- Removes medications that have been changed in dose or directions, or discontinued, from current med bag
- Marks out medication records that have been updated
- Provides clearly marked steps on medication records for med “titration” instructions
- Creates the new medication records and books for each new monthly cycle
- Audits medication records for resident compliance adherence and notifies RN, Case Manager and Program Director of discrepancies
- Audits medication records against medication container labels for accuracy
- Counts new Controlled Meds upon receipt and creates Count Sheets; notifies RN and Program Director of discrepancies
- Counts Controlled Medications daily—completes count sheets and notifies RN and Program Director of discrepancies
- Enters audits into computer and transmits to designated staff
- Creates the “Gold Star” list and emails each month
- Applies the “Gold Stars” to the tabbed dividers
- Audits current (monthly) and refill (quarterly) medications for expiration dates
- Observes residents’ self-administration of medication
- Provides prompting to residents to follow label directions
- Assists RN (or other designated staff) with destruction process for expired, abandoned and discontinued medications—counting, logging and witnessing disposal
- Reports any and all Med Room discrepancies to RN, Case Manager and Program Director
- Keeps med room stocked, clean and orderly: wipe off carts, sweep and mop floor
- Notifies RN when supplies are low—including ink, paper, binders and resident supplies such as distilled water, Ziploc baggies, first aid medication.
- Supervises and coaches residents who use pillboxes to do accurate set-up and refill, and to order timely refills of medications
- Maintains resident confidentiality at all times
- Current California License
- Must be able to fluently read, write and communicate in English
- Minimum 2 years paid experience as a pharmacy technician
- Must be able to stand a minimum of 2 hours, at one time, without sitting down
- Must have strong computer skills, Excel, Word, Microsoft Office
- Must be able to work with diverse population
- Must be able to adhere to strong boundaries
- Must be detailed oriented and accurate
- Must have excellent record keeping skills
- Must be able to work with constant interruptions
- Must be able to, comfortably, perform all aspects of job description and other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Negative TB test annually; bi-annually if Chest X-Ray test is required
- CPR/First Aid training bi-annually.
- Ability to bend and lift light objects
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while viewing a computer monitor
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Capable of hearing and speaking to exchange information
- Seeing to read reports and data
- Ability to speak English
- Must be able to work in a noisy, busy environment
VVSD offers competitive pay and benefits including 12 paid holidays a year, paid vacation and paid sick leave, pension, health insurance, dental and vision plans.
• If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years.
• Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.