Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for Prep Cook to work with our kitchen staff. The Prep Cook is responsible for preparing, and serving meals for residents and staff. In addition, this position directs residents, community service workers, and volunteers in performing duties in the kitchen and dining areas, while maintaining a clean, safe and sanitary condition in the kitchen and dining areas. Also performs regular preventative maintenance on kitchen and dining area equipment.
If you love working with veterans, desire to make a difference every day, perhaps this position is for you!
•Prepares late meals and sack lunches for residents off site as scheduled.
• Follows recipes as given.
• Maintains timeliness while keeping busy.
• Ability to work multiple stations.
• Flexible with availability.
• Directs residents, community service workers, and volunteers performing duties in the kitchen and dining areas.
• Receives food and kitchen supplies from venders properly storing and labeling supplies.
• Inventories and checks invoices against food and kitchen supplies delivered, and reports discrepancies to the Food Service Manager or Facilities Director
• Maintains inventory of all food and kitchen supplies.
• Organization and labeling of all dry, cooler, and freezer storage areas.
• Supervises residents/staff in keeping condition in kitchen clean, safe and sanitary conditions in
• Continuously inspects kitchen and dining areas for safety hazards and takes corrective measures immediately as needed, or reports needed repairs to facilities
• Supervises cleaning of kitchen and dining area to maintain healthy and sanitary environment and ensures that all dishes, silverware, and other equipment are kept clean and sanitary.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Possess professional food handler’s card.
• Possess a valid driver’s license and have clean DMV record.
• Must be able to fluently read, write and communicate in English.
• Great customer service skills.
• Ability to treat residents with respect and civility.
• Ability to work well with a diverse population.
• Comfortably able to perform all aspects of job.
• Make fast and smart decisions that directly impact profitability of the kitchen
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
• Ability to stand for long periods, bend, stoop, reach, kneel, stand, stoop, crouch, climb and squat.
• Comfortably physically able to perform all aspects of the job.