PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
The President/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) leads a complex veteran-centric nonprofit organization focused on early intervention and prevention of mental health services, homelessness, behavioral health, employment and training services, supportive services, and housing. With a deep understanding of military culture, experience leading and managing a nonprofit organization, and a working knowledge if issues pertaining to the evolving needs of our veterans and their families, the President/CEO is VVSD’s chief leader, visionary, spokesperson, champion and change agent.
The President/CEO is responsible for raising awareness of VVSD’s work both nationally and within the greater San Diego community, building bridges between VVSD and its many allies in the nonprofit, government and private sectors, inspiring VVSD staff and volunteers to serve with excellence and caring, motivating donors to give generously, and fostering collaborative efforts between board and staff that engender efficiency, trust and respect among all parties.
Among, the Presidents/CEO’s many duties, this executive is responsible for:
- • Partnering with the board and staff on developing long-term operational and strategic plans
- • Providing on-going strategic recommendations to the board on creativity, financial analysis and projections, risk assessment, and political realities
- • Engaging the board on issues and trends in the field that may result in changes to the operation model and operational delivery
- • Navigating the complexities of operating a treatment program and developing affordable housing in an uncertain political and funding environment
- • Developing new strategic partnerships with allied organizations and institutions
- • Engaging senior staff and program managers in transparent conversations that produce new strategies for approaching the work
- • Representing the organization in contracting, banking and other business negotiations
Public Relations, Advocacy and Fundraising
- • Championing the work of VVSD, specifically, the residential treatment programs and the new Cohen Clinic to public officials, public agencies and private funders
- • Raising the visibility of VVSD and its brand to current and future stakeholders in San Diego and across the nation
- • Promoting VVSD through public events, public speaking and social media
- • Engaging donors of all types in the work of VVSD
- • Overseeing all financial and operational activities
- • Building cohesive teams across VVSD that engage the ideas of people with diverse skill-sets and backgrounds at all levels
- • Operating with transparency and accountability at the board and staff level
- • Working closely with the Board of Directors to ensure VVSD’s fiduciary and compliance responsibilities are fulfilled in a transparent and responsible manner
- • Other duties as required
- • Experience in high-level management within a commensurate nonprofit setting including prior experience leading change
- • Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- • Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- • Prior experience supervising, coaching and mentoring a senior management team
- • Experience raising funds from individuals, corporations and foundations
- • A commitment to lead by example, passion for creating change, and dedication to the mission
- • Experience with government grants a plus
- • Veteran status a plus
***VVSD is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in its work and staff.***