PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for Shelter Coordinator to work with our Shelter program. Working closely with the Case Managers and the Security team, Shelter Coordinators will provide support to our clients and assist other Shelter staff in moving clients from homelessness to permanent supportive housing.
If you love working with veterans, desire to make a difference every day, perhaps this position is for you!
- Reports to the Shelter Supervisor and collaborates closely with other key members of the Shelter team to meet the needs of our clients.
- Assists Case Managers with intakes, interviews, assessments, and refers clients to appropriate community resources as needed.
- Input basic client demographic data into the Homeless Management Information System.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the Shelter program to ensure safety for both our residents and our employees.
- Confer with the Shelter Supervisor to resolve participant complaints.
- Supervises clients with laundry chores, such as folding and putting laundry away.
- During meal times, checks off names of clients on the roster and takes the lead in assisting with any issues that may arise with clients in the chow line.
- Takes the lead in conducting nightly bed checks with the security staff.
- Works with Security staff to process and document all roll-ups.
- Completes all necessary exit paperwork.
- Monitors and ensures all clients are completing assigned chores and completes required documentation.
- Accepts, organizes and stores any donations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Basic understanding of the military and/or the Veterans Administration.
- Previous experience working with homeless individuals.
- Understanding of causes of homelessness.
- Fluently read, write, and communicate in English.
- Work within a diverse population.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Ability to perform all aspects of the job description both mentally and physically, as well as other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Ability to stand or walk up to 8 hours per shift.
- Ability to lift 15 lbs. or more.
The Fine Print:
- If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years
- Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.