PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
The Housing Specialist works as part of a multi-disciplinary team to assist clients with housing document preparation, identifying permanent housing opportunities, developing and maintaining relationships with prospective landlords as well as connecting clients with appropriate supportive services.
• Conducts comprehensive assessments of individuals and families to determine housing eligibility and placement services, financial assistance and resource needs.
• Provides information and referral assistance to appropriate social service agencies and/or community programs.
• Conducts client intakes and assessments for eligibility into a homelessness assistance programs
• Assesses and addresses housing barriers, including but not limited to assisting the client to acquire and submit necessary identification documentation, proof of homelessness, benefits statements, proof of identity, etc.
• Assists with the development, implementation and monitoring of individualized housing, financial and self-sufficiency plans for each client.
• Regularly meets with clients to review case progress and provide motivation for obtaining housing stability.
• Ensures the timely and accurate completion of all necessary documentation needed to obtain and maintain permanent housing.
• Procures, contacts and negotiates with landlords to identify new and existing housing opportunities to build a strong inventory of available housing options for clients.
• Negotiates leases on behalf of clients.
• Responds to contacts from clients and property owners.
• Provides mediation and advocacy with landlords on the client’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and/or maintain permanent housing.
• Develops and provides materials for both clients and program staff to include; tenants’ rights & responsibilities, housing discrimination and conflict resolution.
• Develops and maintains a database of permanent housing information including vacancies, eligibility requirements, rents, waiting list lengths, locations, sizes, etc. for each property.
• Maintains documentation of trainings, budgets, housing contracts, client contracts and other pertinent information in accordance with agency and best standard practices.
• Maintains case documentation, using HMIS in accordance with agency and best standard practices.
• Develops and maintains accurate and detailed case files, verifies accuracy of information, researches discrepancies, and records information.
*Performs other duties as assigned
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in real-estate, planning, social work, business administration, public administration, or a related field, or
• Associates Degree with a focus on real-estate, planning, social work, business administration, public administration, or a related field and one (1) year of applicable job experience, or
• High school Diploma or GED and a minimum of a combined two (2) years of lived experience, at least one (1) year of applicable job experience.
The Fine Print:
- If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years
- Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.