PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
Our Outreach Specialist will provide street outreach to homeless veterans throughout the city of San Diego. This individual will create, implement and promote community awareness and education of the Homeless Veteran Shelter Program. You’ll build positive awareness of a variety of professional level community resources to help Veterans access needed services. Our Outreach Specialist will build and maintain an extensive network of providers in and out of the military community, to be used for referrals.
- Provide crisis intervention and guidance to homeless veterans as appropriate.
- Make contact with homeless veterans daily by researching and resourcing target areas where homeless individuals are living or congregating. Track locations and services provided to improve services and identify patterns and trends.
- Assist Veterans experiencing homelessness access to a bed in the veteran shelter and/or make referrals, as appropriate.
- Assist with planning, developing and providing community-based outreach to identify and engage with homeless veterans.
- Advocate for clients within the community as well as internally in order to ensure that client’s needs are being recognized, represented and addressed.
- Develop and maintains positive working relationships with agency staff and community contacts such as referral sources and service providers.
- Respect and value all people experiencing homelessness, regardless of circumstances, behavior or needs.
- Prepare documentation of plans and activities to ensure compliance with contracts and agency requirements.
- Refer clients, as appropriate to their individual needs, to outside resources (e.g. medical, dental, mental health, legal social services, veterans’ benefits, etc.)
- Interface with other staff as appropriate regarding client needs and progress.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Basic understanding of the military and/or the Veterans Administration.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in and promote teamwork.
- Ability to work professionally, cohesively, and collaboratively with staff, partners and with organizations serving the homeless community.
- Ability to work flexible and sometimes unpredictable hours to include weekends.
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to time manage.
- Reliable transportation.
- Prior experience working with homeless population.
- Fluently read, write, and communicate in English.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, and within a diverse population.
The Fine Print:
- If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years
- Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.