Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving veterans and other individuals to change their lives. It takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
VVSD has a great opportunity for an SSVF Health Care Navigator. The SSVF Health Care Navigator supports the Veteran SSVF program participants who have complex needs and require assistance with identifying healthcare needs, accessing care, resolving barriers to healthcare needs, and adhering to health care plans. This position works collaboratively with healthcare teams to facilitate access to care, and act as a liaison between the SSVF program and the VA or community medical clinics. The SSVF Health Care Navigator will be expected to take initiative and sound judgement based on education, training, and experience.
- Conduct assessments in order to understand the veterans’ health care status, potential barriers to care, the causes, and the impact of such barriers on the veterans’ ability to access and maintain health care services.
- Connect veterans who are not already enrolled or engaged in health care to VA health care or other medical care providers
- Assist veterans in communicating their preferences in care and personal health-related goals to facilitate shared decision making of the veterans’ care
- Work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team, including medical, nursing, administrative specialists, and case management personnel to identify and address systems challenges for care coordination
- Provide comprehensive case management and care coordination across episodes of care
- Act as a health coach by proactively supporting the veteran to optimize treatment interventions and outcomes
- Provide education on wellness-related topics, such as healthcare plan options
- Arrange transportation to medical appointments
- Assist veterans in preparation for medical appointments so that all issues are addressed during appointments and veterans are informed regarding health care plan
- Remain current on community medical resources available
- Maintain documentation of trainings, client contacts and other pertinent information in accordance with agency and best standard practices.
- Attend SSVF team and VVSD agency meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related field is preferred
- At least 2 years professional experience in a healthcare or social service role.
- Ability to rapidly develop rapport with SSVF program participants and VA medical staff and other medical teams.
- Must be able to hold to high standards of confidentiality.
- Knowledge of HMIS a plus.
- Prior experience working with homeless population a plus.
- Ability to prioritize competing responsibilities and thrive in a challenging and frequently changing situations.
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Teams, SharePoint).
- Valid California driver’s license and up to date vehicle insurance, as well as a clean driving record.
- Must be able to fluently read, write and communicate in English.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be willing to use personal vehicle to perform work duties when necessary.
- Must be able to comfortably perform, both physically and mentally, all aspects of job description and other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience supporting programs serving homeless individuals/families and those diagnosed with physical or mental disabilities a plus.
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screen.
- Ability to bend and lift light objects
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while viewing a computer monitor
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Capable of hearing and speaking to exchange information
- Ability to read reports and data
- Must be able to work in a noisy, busy environment.
VVSD has the following benefits: 12 paid holidays a year, paid , paid sick leave and paid vacation, health insurance, vision and dental plans, pension plan.
The Fine Print
* If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2
* Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender
identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran