PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
We are looking for a dynamic individual to fill the role of SSVF Outreach Specialist . The Outreach Specialist will assist clients in breaking the cycle of homelessness by moving from the street to housing, accessing necessary social services, and linking individuals to mainstream resources. Outreach Specialist will provide individualized client support throughout this entire journey by helping each client develop a plan to address their barriers, increase their income, and maintain and sustain permanent housing. As part of the plan, the Outreach Specialist will identify each area in which clients will need assistance to accomplish the outlined goals and objectives (i.e. scheduling appointments, applying for public benefits, identifying subsidized housing, etc.).
If you are committed to positive outcomes, this is the position for you!
- Develop and provide community outreach presentations for Veterans and Non-Veterans.
- Develop informal, formal and other community networks.
- Participate in Outreach focus groups and attend local trainings related to Outreach.
- Attend community meetings regarding homeless and veteran populations.
- Work collaboratively with other outreach teams to maximize outreach efforts
throughout the County.
- Assess needs of participants and their families and refer to agencies providing assistance with all issues facing the military community to include but not limited to:
- Short and long-term housing, employment, benefits, mental health support, substance use disorder and legal issues.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of Outreach contacts made and services provided.
- Meet monthly data entry and outcomes goals.
- Basic understanding of the homeless population and related challenges.
- Basic understanding of the military and/or the Veterans Administration.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Social Work or related field
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in and promote teamwork.
- Ability to work professionally, cohesively, and collaboratively with staff, partners and with organizations serving the homeless community
- Ability to work flexible and sometimes unpredictable hours to include weekends.
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to time manage.
- Reliable transportation.
- Prior experience working with homeless population.
- Fluently read, write, and communicate in English.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, and within a diverse population.
- Ability to pass criminal background check and drug screen.
- Ability to perform all aspects of the job description both mentally and physically, as well as other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
• Ability to bend and lift light objects
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time while viewing a computer monitor
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
• Capable of hearing and speaking to exchange information
• Seeing to read reports and data
• Ability to speak English
• Must be able to work in a noisy, busy environment.
VVSD has the following benefits: 12 paid holidays a year, paid , paid sick leave and paid vacation, health insurance, vision and dental plans, pension plan.
- If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years.
- Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.